Re: Document control

Subject: Re: Document control
From: John Renish <John -dot- Renish -at- CONNER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 11:16:28 PDT

1. Yes, sort of. FTP is file transfer protocol, *not* the way the documents
are stored. I use FTP to upload my Word files (which must have been saved as
text) to a web site. Use consistent naming conventions, preferably all
lowercase and with the extension .htm; e.g., whatsit_design_1.htm. This
convention is easier, of course, if you have a Mac, a UNIX box, or Win95.
;-)

2. Yes, subject to the caveat in the second sentence of 1. See 3, also.

3. Yes, if you do it right. Don't forget to include directory information if
you save the files in another directory. I have several hierarchical
directories on the web site, as well as text files linked to .gif files down
another branch of the directory tree.

4. Yes, almost any web site will do. Just turn on "show URL" or whatever
your browser supports to see how the files are related. Also, if your
browser permits, you can turn on "show tags" to see the links, themselves.

If you don't have it yet, get Laura Lemay's "Teach Yourself Web Publishing
in a Week Using HTML" and digest it. If you want more advanced techniques,
she has also written "Teach Yourself More Web Publishing in a Week Using
HTML." Laura's encyclopedic knowledge of web publishing and her clear,
breezy style make the whole process quite painless, even for a complete
novice. I would be happy to continue the discussion offline if you need any
further information.

John -dot- Renish -at- conner -dot- com
My statements are my own and do not represent Conner Peripherals, Inc.
Original Text