Re: Training and TW (L-O-N-G)

Subject: Re: Training and TW (L-O-N-G)
From: Debbie Lemasters <Debbie -dot- Lemasters -at- MARCAM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 20:05:30 -0400

>THe BEST resource I've found for newcomers to the Internet is the Patrick
>Crispins Roadmap Course available at the Univ of Ala (Tuscaloosa) on the
>web. I don;t have the URL right at the moment
>[...snip]
>Mark Merkow

I have the LISTSERV access. Here it is.
And I agree, it is a great resource.

Mark, if you find the Internet site, please post it.
Thanks

Debbie Lemasters
debbie -dot- lemasters -at- marcam -dot- com

ROADMAP SYLLABUS

"Only the educated are free." -- Epictetus, Discourses

Thank you for your interest in the Roadmap for the Information
Superhighway Internet training workshop!

While the workshop's distribution list is no longer accepting
subscriptions, you can still get the Roadmap workshop lessons
e-mailed to you!!

There are two ways that you can have the lessons sent to you:
in individual files, or in one-week blocks.

If you have a small e-mail box, or if you only want to retrieve
a particular Roadmap workshop lesson (say, for example, a lesson
that you have accidentally thrown away), you can send an e-mail
letter to

LISTSERV -at- UA1VM -dot- UA -dot- EDU

with the command

GET FILENAME FILETYPE F=MAIL

in the body of your e-mail letter, replacing the words FILENAME
and FILETYPE with the filename and filetype for the particular
lesson that you want to retrieve.

What is a "filename" and "filetype?" Well, look at the following
chart:

filename filetype description
-------- -------- -----------
MAP01 LESSON WELCOME
MAP02 LESSON LISTSERV FILE SERVER COMMANDS

The filename appears in the first column, and the filetype appears
in the second column. So, the filename and filetype for the
"WELCOME" message would be MAP01 LESSON, and the filename and
filetype for the "LISTSERV FILE SERVER COMMANDS" lesson would
be MAP02 LESSON

That's pretty easy. If you want to retrieve the lesson on LISTSERV
file server commands, you would send an e-mail letter to

LISTSERV -at- UA1VM -dot- UA -dot- EDU

with the command

GET MAP02 LESSON F=MAIL

in the body of your e-mail letter. After you send your letter off,
a computer at the University of Alabama will process your letter
and will -- usually within 24 hours -- e-mail you the lesson(s)
that you request!

Here is the COMPLETE list of every Roadmap lesson there is, in the
order that they were sent out:

WEEK1
filename filetype description
-------- -------- -----------
MAP01 LESSON WELCOME
MAP02 LESSON LISTSERV FILE SERVER COMMANDS

WEEK2
filename filetype description
-------- -------- -----------
MAP03 LESSON LEVELS OF INTERNET CONNECTIVITY
MAP04 LESSON E-MAIL
MAP05 LESSON LISTSERVS
MAP06 LESSON OTHER MAIL SERVERS
MAP07 LESSON NETIQUETTE

WEEK3
filename filetype description
-------- -------- -----------
MAP08 LESSON USENET
MAP09 LESSON SPAMMING AND URBAN LEGENDS
MAP10 LESSON INTERNET SECURITY
MAP11 LESSON TELNET (PART ONE)
MAP12 LESSON TELNET (PART TWO)

WEEK4
filename filetype description
-------- -------- -----------
MAP13 LESSON FTP (PART ONE)
MAP14 LESSON FTP (PART TWO)
MAP15 LESSON FTPMAIL
MAP16 LESSON FTP FILE COMPRESSION
QUIZ1Q LESSON POP QUIZ
MAP17 LESSON ARCHIE
MAP17B LESSON FTP SITES
QUIZ1A LESSON POP QUIZ ANSWERS

WEEK5
filename filetype description
-------- -------- -----------
MAP18 LESSON GOPHER (PART ONE)
MAP19 LESSON GOPHER (PART TWO)
MAP20 LESSON BOOKMARKS AND BOOKLISTS
MAP21 LESSON VERONICA
MAP22 LESSON GOPHERMAIL

WEEK6
filename filetype description
-------- -------- -----------
MAP23 LESSON WWW (PART ONE)
MAP24 LESSON WWW (PART TWO)
QUIZ2Q LESSON POP QUIZ
MAP25 LESSON ADDRESSES SEARCHES AND FINGER
NEAT LESSON MAP-EXTRA: NEAT STUFF TO CHECK OUT
ADVERT LESSON MAP-EXTRA: ADVERTISING ON THE INTERNET
MAP26 LESSON IRC/MUDs/MOOs AND OTHER "TALKERS"
SMITH LESSON GUEST LECTURE -- RICHARD SMITH
QUIZ2A LESSON POP QUIZ ANSWERS
MAP27 LESSON THE FUTURE ...

EEEK! That's a *LOT* of files. There HAS to be an easier way to get
these files than by sending thirty-five GET FILENAME FILETYPE F=MAIL
commands!

There is! You can now get the lessons e-mailed to you in one-week
blocks, simply by sending an e-mail letter to

LISTSERV -at- UA1VM -dot- UA -dot- EDU

with the command

GET WEEK# PACKAGE F=MAIL

in the body of your e-mail letter, replacing the # with the week
number of the block that you want to retrieve.

For example, to get all of these "WEEK2" files e-mailed to you

WEEK2
filename filetype description
-------- -------- -----------
MAP03 LESSON LEVELS OF INTERNET CONNECTIVITY
MAP04 LESSON E-MAIL
MAP05 LESSON LISTSERVS
MAP06 LESSON OTHER MAIL SERVERS
MAP07 LESSON NETIQUETTE

all you have to do is send an e-mail letter to

LISTSERV -at- UA1VM -dot- UA -dot- EDU

with the command

GET WEEK2 PACKAGE F=MAIL

in the body of your e-mail letter. After you send your letter off,
a computer at the University of Alabama will process your letter
and will -- usually within 24 hours -- e-mail you the particular
one-week block of lessons that you request.

Of course, you should request the WEEK1 lessons first, then the WEEK2
lessons, then the WEEK3 lessons, and so on ...

I do need to ask you a favor, though. Please only get one week's
lessons at a time. I know that there is a great temptation for you
to get all of the lessons at once, but that will place a great
deal of strain on the University of Alabama's system. The University
of Alabama has been kind enough to store these lessons so that
you can retrieve them -- we need to repay their kindness by
keeping the demand on their system to a minimum.

Thank you again for your interest in the Roadmap workshop, and
I hope that you will enjoy the lessons!

PATRICK DOUGLAS CRISPEN THE VIEWS EXPRESSED IN THIS LETTER DO NOT
PCRISPE1 -at- UA1VM -dot- UA -dot- EDU NECESSARILY REPRESENT THE VIEWS OF THE
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA - TUSCALOOSA

ROADMAP: COPYRIGHT PATRICK CRISPEN 1994. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.