Re: Students and bandwidth

Subject: Re: Students and bandwidth
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 11:15:35 IST

In defence of the posting that we can't accomodate everyone
interested in joining techwr-l (specifically, students),
I'd like to note that (Mark?) had a good point.

** I'm just a soul whose intentions are good.

I believe that students should join and post like anyone else,
turning to the list with questions only when any other reasonably
accessible sources of satisfactory information or counsel have been
exhausted. I objected to the idea of assigning students to ask the
list for help that they don't need, or that they could as easily
obtain elsewhere.

(I also regret, by the way, that various list members post queries
here belonging to realms that have more specific lists of their own...
realms like Windows Help, FrameMaker, MS Word ...
I suppose that in many cases the writers aren't aware of the
other lists, and when I have time I send abuseless messages
enlightening them.)

But if all the students subscribed and used the list responsibly?
Well, I would hope that the number of questions would not rise
in direct proportion to the number of students, because many
questions would be common to many students. Questions that tend
to repeat could go into a FAQ, or some enterprising writer might
realize that any question that students keep posting to the list
would make a good topic in a textbook...

As Herzl said, though, nothing works out as well as you'd hoped
or as badly as you'd feared...

||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
|| You can't judge right by looking at the wrong. - Willie Dixon ||