Re. Eric's response to my posting on students

Subject: Re. Eric's response to my posting on students
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 1995 08:58:19 LCL

Eric apologized publicly for his "negative" reply to my
posting on students and a bandwidth problem. Eric, no
apology necessary... this _is_ a forum for debate, and you
expressed your disagreement politely and rationally. The
thing is, I don't think you and I disagreed, thus I don't
understand why you chose to "rebut" my original message,
which essentially echoed your sentiments. Allow me to quote
my own posting:

<<Today's digest weighed 127K; ...digest size has almost
doubled since I joined the list, far less than a year
ago.>>
I think this point is clear. The current rate of growth
likely won't continue, but grow the list will. I can't
receive individual messages, and must read messages on a
SMALL screen, thus it takes a long time to screen out what
I don't want to read. I'm not alone in this from what I've
read on the list. Benefits? See next quote.

<<This is NOT a suggestion that we keep out students. We
can learn lots from the ones who get past the "big-boned
women" comments, and even when we can't, we do have a
certain measure of responsibility to help our colleagues in
training, as others have noted.>>
Isn't this exactly what you noted in your posting? I'm a
student too, constantly, and I love working with students.
I'm even hoping to teach a course at a local college next
year, time permitting.

So did we disagree, or did I just err by stating unclearly
that I still perceive a problem that I hope we'll be able to
solve pleasantly for all?

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.