Re. Indexing gerunds

Subject: Re. Indexing gerunds
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 13:37:20 LCL

Kevin Sporleder asked about whether or not to index
gerunds, to which I'd respond with my (by now familiar) "it
depends". Consider the verb "display", which can also
appear as a noun (the display) or an adjective (display
postscript). Depending on how you set about indexing, it
could be very useful indeed to differentiate among the
three forms of the word. For example:
Display, adjusting refresh rate
Displaying a test pattern
Display Postscript, installing
The second of the two is more problematic, since you could
index this equally reasonably under "Test pattern,
displaying". I'd generally use both, since I've been known
to search for such terms in either way.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.