Politeness Man sez: [not _totally_ off-topic...]

Subject: Politeness Man sez: [not _totally_ off-topic...]
From: "T. Tarbox Kiersted" <ttarbox -at- MONSTERBIT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 00:26:00 CDT

John Russell <johnr -at- BRS -dot- COM> wrote:
<<HUGE SNIP>>

> And thanks in advance.

I realize this is meant sincerely, and I appreciate the sentiment. You are,
no doubt, truly feeling thankful already at the valuable advice that posts
to this list almost always generate.

Unfortunately, "thanks in advance" can sound wrong. It is best to avoid
ever uttering (or typing) it, lest you be misunderstood.
It sounds as if it assumes too much. It can easily be misconstrued as an
obligation in advance wearing a cheap disguise.
Miss Manners wrote a scathing piece about the pitfalls of advance thanks.

Thanks for reading this note.

Thomas Tarbox Kiersted (
1406 W. Sixth, Suite 200 )
Austin, Texas 78703 ------