Your position and Marketing

Subject: Your position and Marketing
From: Gretchen Toth <glt -at- ICONOVEX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 12:35:18 -0500

I am not looking for a deep thought on this, just wondering
if at any point you have been asked to be part of the
marketing for a product or if you are required to be
part of that process.

Reason I'm asking-- a week and half ago I was called to be
part of a 'team' for a yet-to-be-developed product. We
were to decide the name, the audience, market plan, price,
the look of the interface. Right now I am working on several
little projects and was less than enthusiastic to be called
for this, mostly because I _do not_ like thinking up catchy
names and slogans and all that. On the other hand, another
perspective for where to market a product doesn't hurt (I keep
my eyes peeled for places to mention our software and steer
the sales folk from places where they wouldn't be well
received), and I do see the benefit in having input for the
product interface (that whole 'They Must Let Us In' thread, I
believe?).

How would you feel if out of the blue you were asked you to
be on a 4-person team for the marketing of a new product?

Gretchen

Gretchen L. Toth
Technical Writer
The Iconovex Corporation
gretchen -dot- toth -at- iconovex -dot- com