Re: John Russell's question about graphics tools.

Subject: Re: John Russell's question about graphics tools.
From: Patrick O'Connell <titanide -at- MICRO -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 09:27:21 -0400

About the question John asked: he didn't say whether it was raster,
vector, or both types of files that he needed to edit. I don't know that
I've ever seen one program designed to do both equally well, at least
under Windows.

For raster graphics files in a variety of formats, on the Windows platform
I would suggest Paint Shop Pro V3.x -- as of v3.0 PSP includes pixel-level
painting and editing capabilities. It has always been strong in the
category of image transformations (hey, I'm sure Photoshop far outstrips
it, but Photoshop's not shareware :-), i.e., applying mathematical filter
effects to all or part of an image.

For vector graphics files the formats tend to be a lot more proprietary;
I don't know of any "generic" vector image-editing program designed to
work equally well with, for example, CGM, Corel, Designer, and AutoCAD
graphics files. Your only option for these may be to find the
vector-drawing program with the most and best import filters, buy it, and
resign yourself to making further changes to your vector graphics files
in that program.

PatO'
titanide -at- micro -dot- org