Re: Numbering

Subject: Re: Numbering
From: Loren Castro <lfc -at- SOL -dot- CHINALAKE -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 09:43:58 -0700

John Posada asks about government numbering:

> Would I have been able to put a 2.1 if I hadn't used a 2.2?
> If not, how do I do a 2.1.1 and a 2.1.2 if I hadn't used a 2.2

The basic answer to the first question is yes. That's easy for
me to say because I write to government standards. I didn't like
this style at first, but I'm accustomed to it now, and I think that
it's superior for technical work.

I identify Section 2 (for example) as 2 (or 2.0) <SECTION HEADING>,
and I have no text under this heading if I can help it. That means
that I must have a paragraph 2.1 if I want to write anything even if
I don't have a paragraph 2.2. This might conflict with what we learned
in grammer school, but I like it. It's consistent, and it complies
with the standards.

lfc -at- sol -dot- chinalake -dot- navy -dot- mil