Re: Graphics Tools

Subject: Re: Graphics Tools
From: Tamara Peters <1455 -at- MN2 -dot- LAWSON -dot- LAWSON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 11:58:00 CDT

We have started using Visio (used to use RFFLOW, go figure) and most of
our writers/trainers seem to really like it. If you put 2-3 hours in
upfront and learn the basics of the tool, you can do some pretty slick
things, pretty quickly. You can also import bitmap pictures and very
quickly add call-outs, lines, boxes, etc. This is helpful, because you
can easily go back and edit all the extras - they don't become bitmaps as
they would in Paintbrush, nor to they "erase" the bitmap as adding things
does in Paintbrush. However, you can't actually edit the bitmap itself.

If you're really into computer illustration, and have some time to invest
in learning the tool, I'd highly recommend Freehand or Illustrator. I've
used both extensively and LOVE working with them. Once you know some of
the ins/outs of the tool, you can create anything! Personally, I didn't
like CorelDraw - found it hard to use, touchy, and not as flexible.

I've also used Photoshop a bit, and liked it. It is also very high-end,
but it is a bitmap editor - not a vector-based drawing program. Only buy
this one if you are scanning in pictures and want to do real photo
touch-ups to them. Things like gamma adjustment. You'll have to learn a
little different set of concepts here. It is worse than Paintbrush to
draw in, since it was not designed for drawing.