Some questions for contractors

Subject: Some questions for contractors
From: Kevin Corcoran <Ransom999 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 12:27:59 -0400

Hi, everybody. I have some questions specifically for tech writers doing
contract work.

My Situation: I've been a full time tech writer at one company for the last
five years. Now I have an opportunity to take a new, interesting assignment
with another company. The new company needs only about six months worth of
writing, however, and wants to hire me as a contractor. I'm totally new to
this kind of arrangement.

My biggest fear is that when the contract ends I will be unable to easily
find a new position or contract.

My Questions:
1. When negotiating compensation for a contract, are there any quick formulas
for figuring out what I'll need in order to cover my own benefits?

2. How do you prepare for the end of your contract? (When do you start
looking for a new position? If you do a lot of contract work, do you
regularly end up with idle periods? If I fail to find new work, can I collect
unemployment?)

Thanks

Kevin Corcoran
ransom999 -at- aol -dot- com