Re. Copyrighted images in help files

Subject: Re. Copyrighted images in help files
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 12:01:05 LCL

Karen R. asked about the copyright implications of using
images in help files. Karen, the rule of thumbs (two
parts!) for using someone else's graphics is that if you
don't know where it came from, assume that it's
copyrighted; if you do know, check with the author or
copyright holder (not always the same person).

Most clip art contains a relatively clear statement about
what you can use the images for. For example, the Corel
clip art collection is, so far as I can tell, royalty free;
conversely, most digitized photos seem to have convoluted
licensing agreements (e.g., "royalty free for nonprofit use
in the low resolution format, but pay us lots if you use
the high-res version for publishing a for-sale magazine").

Best bet? Stick with images that come from a clear source,
and if you're not sure what their licensing agreement says,
get a clear permission in writing for your specific purpose
from their legal department.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.