Re: X Windows under MS-Windows?

Subject: Re: X Windows under MS-Windows?
From: Keith Soltys <ksoltys -at- IO -dot- ORG>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 1995 17:21:09 -0400

>I have a new challenge and need some advice from someone who has been there
>and done that and can tell me what T-shirt to buy.

>I'm going to be documenting a program that runs under HP-UNIX on something
>called an X Windows Terminal. I'm using MS-Windows-based writing tools
>(FrameMaker for Windows). Is there any way to run the UNIX-based program
>under Windows 3.11? It would make the process much easier. Purchasing
>FrameMaker for UNIX has already been suggested and then ranked somewhere
>below "drawing all the screen captures by hand using Windows Paint".

I use Hummingbird Software's eXceed on an HP Vectra 486 to run HP-UX
applications off a server. It works fine, both under Windows for Workgroups
3.11 and Windows 95. I'm not sure about the cost (several hundred dollars?)
but it is fast and quite stable. I would recommend 16 MB of RAM if you are
going to use it, though. Hummingbird has a Web site where you can get
information
on their products (Sorry, I don't have the URL, but you can look them up
at http://www.ecola.com/techcorp/.)

Regards,
Keith

Keith Soltys -- ksoltys -at- io -dot- org -- http://www.io.org/~ksoltys/
Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you;
if you don't bet, you can't win. --Robert A. Heinlein