Re: TRADEMARKS

Subject: Re: TRADEMARKS
From: Herman Holtz <holtz -at- PALTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 1995 07:29:28 UNDEFINED

I I do not believe that we, as writers, are under any legal obligation to
acknowledge service marks, trade marks, and registered trade marks as such,
but we do so as a courtesy. The law requires the owner of the mark to make all
efforts to prevent its being used as a generic term, to protect their marks,
so owners protest all such usage and urge writers to honor their marks.

As to how it is done, if the sue is occasional and relatively rare, I would
acknowledge it when using it, and attribute it by footnote. However, I write
books, primarily, and am likely to use many trademarks, so I will usually
incldue an acknowledgments page where I will list all and make attribution
there, as is commonly done in those circumstances.
***
Herman Holtz [holtz -at- paltech -dot- com], marketing consultant/freelance
writer. Author How to Succeed as an Independent Consultant, other
business & professional books. Publisher of how-to reports for
writers. Email request for free report on freelance writing.
Visit at http://www.crimson.com/em