Re: Keyboard vs. mouse

Subject: Re: Keyboard vs. mouse
From: Michael Keith Anderson <mka -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 23:24:39 -0600

Melissa and Tech Writers:

I used to work as an assistant project manager at a bank. One of my =
projects was a needs assessment model for an automation project. We =
discovered the keyboard is faster for some people, and the mouse is =
faster for others.

Getting the job done and training people to do the job are your two most =
important factors. The keyboard is great for people who do a lot of data =
entry. In our case, we were looking at tellers and proof operators. =
Keyboard shortcuts were the only way to go for these people.

The mouse is terrific for people who deal with objects more than data. =
The bank's mouse-people included administrative assistants and employees =
who scanned loan applications. Also, it's definitely easier to train =
somebody on the mouse. People generally respond better to new =
applications if they use a mouse. On the average, experienced users =
(like me) pick up on keyboard commands after using the mouse to learn =
the application.

From my experience, I would suggest looking at the job to be done first; =
that's the most important issue. Then look at how and who you want to =
train.

Keith Anderson

mka -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com
mkanderson -at- ualr -dot- edu