Re. STC benefits for non-members

Subject: Re. STC benefits for non-members
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 12:46:17 LCL

I'm not sure where to draw the line, but it seems to me
that we STC'ers, to do credit to our profession, are
obliged to share knowledge equally with members and
nonmembers. That's also drawn straight from the STC mission
and professional code of ethics.

This doesn't mean that other benefits that we pay for, such
as group insurance and reduced conference rates, should be
freely available. Somewhere in between, we'd have to
address other issues such as sharing copies of the journal
and newsletters and job listings. Sharing the printed stuff
seems to fall near the "share and share alike" pole,
whereas job listing seem nearer the "address the needs of
members first". Note that I added the word "first" there:
getting the first lead on a job is a benefit we pay for,
but this doesn't suggest we should deny the job to a
nonmember if none of us want it.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.