Re: Using software your clients propos

Subject: Re: Using software your clients propos
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 13:24:29 MST

Arlen said-->
> Q: Arlen, do you have any experience with Frame?
> A: Not at all.

> Q: Arlen, can you use Frame for this project?
> A: Yes.

> Both answers are completely truthful. I'll follow up with
> questions about which platform -- Windoze, Eunuchs, Mac -- you
> want the files in (I'm assuming that's the reason for the
> question; if you're just getting hardcopy, not files, you'd
> have no reason to care what package I'm using).

===============
Okay, folks. This is really interesting. What great politicians
some of us would make!

Now you KNOW that if your assignment was to develop a
questionnaire, and one of the questions on that questionnaire
was "can you" do anything, as good technical writers you'd flag
that and ask the client, "What exactly do you mean by this
question? There are several ways in which it can be
interpreted."

But, noooooo. In an interview situation when asked with the same
vague question, we interpret it how we wish and answer
accordingly. In all likelihood, the interviewer *meant* "do you
know how to" do something, but being the masters of language
that we are, we ignore that probability and answer to out best
advantage.

Guerilla marketing at its finest.

No flames are intended here. I think it's very clever. But let's
not kid ourselves to what is actually going on.

=*= Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= Huachuca : That's pronounced "wah-CHEW-ka" =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=