Web Home Pages

Subject: Web Home Pages
From: Sheryl Sieracki <ssierack -at- ARINC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 14:55:48 -0500

Fellow techwhirlers:

My company is (finally) looking into putting a home page up
on the Web, and we're putting together a policy that will
address creating and maintaining the home page.

We anticipate that organizations throughout the company
(worldwide) would create their own pages, which would be
linked to the corporate home page, and that some centralized
body would review these pages for content, appropriateness,
etc. The pages also would be edited by my department.

The policy would address such issues as the procedure each
organization would follow to creating its page; how the
review board would be set up and function; and how we
would ensure that all of the information we provide
access to remains current. Management's largest concerns
are the long-term costs in terms of care and feeding of
this thing, ensuring that we do it right to protect our
corporate image, and preventing employees from sitting at
their PCs visiting the Dilbert site all day or
downloading pornographic pictures (I'm exaggerating on
this last, but you know what I mean).

There's lots of information out there about creating home
pages, but I haven't seen much about developing corporate
policies. I'd appreciate any help you could offer--aspects
of this project we might not think to consider, URLs for
sites where we might find some useful information, anecdotal
experience. . . . Maybe some of your companies have a
(nonproprietary) policy we could use as a guide.

Please respond to me at ssierack -at- arinc -dot- com -dot-

Thanks,

Sheryl Sieracki
Manager, Product Development Support
ARINC