Re: Expletives et. al.

Subject: Re: Expletives et. al.
From: UC Bobby Collins <UCBCOLLI -at- SYSTEMA -dot- WESTARK -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 09:50:00 +600

> Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 19:05:05 EST
> From: Christy Dawn Langley <GRLANGLE -at- ECUVM -dot- CIS -dot- ECU -dot- EDU>

> It is not mainstream language.

Absolutely right!!

Someone yesterday (I didn't bother to save it) commented that there
were "millions of people" who do use profanity daily and as part of
their regular conversation. This is a typical blind belief based on a
steady stream of Hollywood sludge which tries to convince the viewing
audience that everyone in America speaks like a few small minded
vocabulary-challenged persons.

I'll agree with what several other whirlers have said - there are
optional words to use that are more accurate. English is a beautiful,
expressive language. To limit oneself to a few pedantic, shock
phrases is lazy and ... dumb.

Bobby {just because, that's why!} Collins
Techwriter, UALR
language.