Human aspects of techwhirling: results

Subject: Human aspects of techwhirling: results
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 14:03:11 LCL

Some time back, I asked if anyone could recommend good
textbooks on the human side of technical writing (e.g.,
interviewing skills, teambuilding, etc.). Here are the
results to date (details as they were provided to me):

DeMarko, T.; Lister, T. Peopleware, productive projects and
teams. Dorset House, ISBN 0932633056.

Dombrowski, P.M. (Ed.) 1994. Humanistic aspects of
technical communication. Baywood Publishing, Amityville,
NY. ISBN 0-89503-160-4 (paper version; hardcover also
available)

Low, Ford, Pallot and Hall. 1994. Writing user
documentation. Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-336835-1

McDowell, E.E. (1992?) Interviewing practices for technical
writers. Baywood Publishing, Amityville, NY.

Weiss, E.W. (1991). How to write usable user documentation.
Oryx Press. ISBN 0-89774-693-2

Thanks to all who responded (from Mom and me both!). If
I've omitted any references, it's possible that they never
arrived or that I simply missed them in my crowded mailbox.
Please feel free to add to the list!

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} Writing from snowy Pointe-Claire,
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca where the season's first decent
blizzard has sent the woodchuck
scurrying for cover from his usual
haunt outside my window, and where
the hungry sparrows huddle forlornly
on the young elm outside my window,
undoubtedly wishing they were in
California with our artfully senior
technical writer.

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.