Re: Commas (was: But for however)

Subject: Re: Commas (was: But for however)
From: "Mutton, Sara" <s -dot- mutton -at- TECHSMITH -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 13:12:51 -0500

Nonetheless, your use of the comma is incorrect.

Creative use of commas is fine for creative writing. However, in technical
writing, there is need to use the "standard English". Standard English
is defined by grammatical rules, not idiomatic practice. I consider it
necessary to abide by those hallowed grammatical rules, so my writing
will be universally decipherable.

I don't mean to be high-handed here, but I think there is a point where
a line should be drawn between what is acceptable and unacceptable.
For me, that line is defined by the grammar handbook.

Sara
----------
From: Matthew B. Hicks
To: Multiple recipients of list TEC
Subject: Commas (was: But for however)
Date: Sunday, November 12, 1995 1:56PM

Does anyone on this list remember what a comma signifies? As I recall, it
is often used to signify that the author wishes the reader to pause
slightly at the comma before continuing with the rest of the sentence.
Used in this way, the placement of the comma is not governed by some
unyielding set of grammatical rules but is determined by the author.
Therefore, if I want my reader to pause slightly at the "but" (probably to
emphasize the forthcoming contradiction), I will place a comma after it.
But, that won't always be appropriate, so most often, I won't.

Matt Hicks, Tech. Writer, Unidata * I may not agree with what you
Boulder, CO, (303)497-8676, ******* say, but I'll defend to the
matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu ************* death my right to mock you.

Sara Jane Mutton
Technical Writer