computer-scanned resumes -Reply

Subject: computer-scanned resumes -Reply
From: Tamara Larsen <TLARSEN -at- NOVELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 11:01:40 -0700

Mary,

I would suggest that your students design a couple of different resumes:
one that has headings and boldface, etc (all the fancy desktop publishing
layout stuff) and the other in the simple, non-boldface, very plain style that
computer scanners require. It's not much additional work, and having two
or more different resumes can prepare them for most situations.

Another increasingly common form of resume is the e-mail resume, which
needs to be extremely generic in format, with nothing fancy, due to the
wide differences in various e-mail utilities. The WWW online resume is also
becoming quite popular.

I personally changed my resume to fit each position I applied for in my job
hunt. The generic resume is okay, but a tailored one can show exactly how
well you match the qualifications an employer is seeking.

Tamara Larsen
tlarsen -at- novell -dot- com