GPA on resume

Subject: GPA on resume
From: HUNTER_W -at- DT3 -dot- DT -dot- UH -dot- EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 15:17:00 -0600

Hi folks,

I have yet another resume question. Forgive me if this topic has been
discussed before and thanks for what I know will be excellent advice.

My question concerns putting my GPA's on my resume. A previous instructor
told me that a GPA is not relevant 2-3 years out of college. I graduated
about 6 years ago. However, I have changed careers (engineering to tech
writing) since then, so I am wondering if it is relevant now. My GPA is
good and I worked *dam* hard for it, so of course part of me wants to put
it on but I have made the mistake in the past of putting things in my
resume that I was proud of instead of what potential employers were
looking for!

I am also currently taking classes toward a professional writing degree.
Should my GPA for that degree go on my resume. I am working in the tech
writing field at the moment so I would guess that the degree, irregardless
of GPA, along with writing samples are the most important thing.

Right now, I do not have my GPA for either degree program on my resume. However
, I would put in on if it would help me. (but am also afraid it may hurt me
if employers find that irrelevant!) What do you think?

Bill Hunter