Re: How much RAM?

Subject: Re: How much RAM?
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 16:17:28 PST

On Mon, 20 Nov 1995 11:14:00 -0500 you wrote:

>I run Windows NT with MS Office suite, CorelDraw 5.0 and FrameMaker 4.0
>(5.0 seems worse).
>I have 128 Mb of RAM on a 133 MHz Pentium.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>The GPFs come from FrameMaker and CorelDraw, not MS apps, which leads me
>to believe it's a software problem and not hardware.

Entirely possible. As I said, GPFs are *often* related to lack of memory, but
not always. Bugs in the programs themselves, or even corrupted program files
can generate such errors. Reinstalling the applications will sometimes help.

>CorelDraw has even given me "out of memory" errors. Go figure.

"Out of memory" errors are a fact of life with Windows 3.x apps (and will
eventually be with Win95 apps). The amount of RAM is irrelevant; Windows has
a limited "resource heap" (three 64kb heaps, I believe) available for
applications - once those resources are used up, that's it.

W95 improves things somewhat by loading more system and application code into
its 32-bit address space rather than using those resources heaps; the problem
of their very existance still remains however, even for native 32-bit apps...
meaning eventually, as the apps get bigger and more memory-hungry, you'll run
into the same problems again.

Not sure how Windows NT handles resource issues, although I imagine it's
similar to OS/2 and *nix in that there are no such "heaps" for native apps...
the problem then being, you must run native apps to get away from that
limitation.

Opinions expressed / ROCK-IT SCIENCE Mobile Audio and Security
do not necessarily /| ...the 1040 MIDI & Music BBS Technical Services
reflect those of any [ SOUNDMAN E-mail soundy -at- direct -dot- ca Fido 1:153/7106
marginally sane human \| WWW http://www.nextlevel.com/
being anywhere. \ FAX: (604)253-8312 DATA: (604)732-4446