Re: GPA on resume

Subject: Re: GPA on resume
From: Emily Skarzenski <eskarzenski -at- DTTUS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 10:13:53 CST

Bill Hunter <HUNTER_W -at- DT3 -dot- DT -dot- UH -dot- EDU> wrote:

> My question concerns putting my GPA's on my resume. A previous
> instructor told me that a GPA is not relevant 2-3 years out of
> college.
<snip>
> My GPA is good and I worked *dam* hard for it, so of course part of
> me wants to put it on but I have made the mistake in the past of
> putting things in my resume that I was proud of instead of what
> potential employers were looking for!

I got good grades, too, and since I graduated from a Tech Writing
program, I think my grades are relevant in searching for tech writing
jobs. However, I've also been out of school for several years and
think listing my GPA might look a little silly.

My advice: If your grades were sufficiently high to merit a graduation
cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude, list that phrase after
your degree. That's what I do. Most prospective employers who see the
"summa cum laude" after my degree know this means I was no slouch in
school.

Emily Skarzenski
ICS Deloitte - Chadds Ford, PA
eskarzenski -at- dttus -dot- com
71220 -dot- 341 -at- compuserve -dot- com