Re: Training Video Scripts

Subject: Re: Training Video Scripts
From: Laurel Nelson <SPNEL02 -at- DOF-SSP1 -dot- FINANCE -dot- STATE -dot- MN -dot- US>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 11:00:07 CST-360

As someone who took a script writing class in college, co-authored a
video script, and viewed the final product -- my advice is do not
contract out to write a script until you have had some hands-on
training.

When writing for hardcopy or online Help, we can view the finished
product; but writing a video script is a whole different ballgame.
You have to think visually; you have to imagine the finished product.
Script writing is more of an artistic endeavor than a writing
endeavor. When my friend and I wrote our script, we thought the final
product would be mostly visual with some narration. What a
disappointment! The video was not what I had envisioned; it moved too
quickly and had way too much talking.

Mary: I know you didn't ask for this advice, but it's worth hearing.
I would be curious to hear about others' experiences with script
writing.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Laurel Y. Nelson, Tech Writer/Help Author
Mn-ASSIST
St. Paul, MN
Tel: 612.282.3942
FAX: 612.282.5042
e-mail: SPNEL02 -at- ssp1 -dot- finance -dot- state -dot- mn -dot- us
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx