Re: Problems with RTFTOHTML

Subject: Re: Problems with RTFTOHTML
From: Keith Soltys <ksoltys -at- IO -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 10:19:48 -0500

Thanks for the detailed advice.

In article <199511280024 -dot- TAA29211 -at- io -dot- org>, Michaeal O'Lear wrote:

>Make sure "Table of Contents" is selected in the rtftohtml prefernces
>dialog box (Choose PREFERENCES from the EDIT menu). If it is, you need to
>make changes to the html-trans file.

I am using Word for Windows 6.0c and the DOS version of RTFTOHTML. There
are no dialog boxes, it runs as a DOS command-line program.

>You can make rtftohtml translate any MSWord style to an HTML style by
>editing the text file named "html-trans".

The DOS file is HTML-TRA, but it appears to be funtionally equivalent
the the "html-trans" file that you described.

>Towards the end of that file is the PMatch table (for a portion of this
>table, see the end of this message) that rtftohtml uses to translate a
>paragraph style into an html file.

...snip...

>If your heading style names are "Heading 1", "Heading 2", etc (as in the
>case with Keith Soltys) :

>Edit the "heading 1,hd1",0,"h1" line to "Heading 1",0,"h1"
>Edit the "heading 2,hd2",0,"h2" line to "Heading 2",0,"h2"
>etc

>NOTE: make sure you don't delete the quotation marks.

>or

>Add the line "Heading 1",0,"h1" after the line "heading 1,hd1",0,"h1"
>Add the line "heading 2,hd1",0,"h2" after the line "heading 2,hd2",0,"h2"
>etc

That's what I was doing.

>10. Make sure "Table of Contents" is selected in the rtftohtml prefeernces
>dialog box (Choose PREFERENCES from the EDIT menu).

Not in the DOS version. I think it's supposed to do the TOC automatically
(there is a command-line switch to turn that off).

>11. From within rtftohtml open the rtf file you want to translate.

>Your Heading 1, Heading 2 etc styles should now be translated to <H1>, <H2>
>etc, and rtftohtml will use those styles to generate a separate ToC.html
>file taht has links back to the headings in the main html file.

>rtftohtml can be customized even more by editing the .PTag table. See the
>documentation that comes with rfttohtml for more information.

I tried that too. No go.

>rtftohtml (and the rtftohtml user's guide) is available from:
>ftp://ftp.cray.com/src/WWWstuff/RTF/rtftohtml_overview.html

Yes, I think that's what I have.

But it still doesn't work for me. The only way I could get it to work
was to change my headings in the Word file, from Heading 1, Heading 2,
etc. to heading 1, heading 2, etc. This did generate a TOC after I converted
to RTF and ran RTFTOHTML on it.

I can write a macro that make the change and then save the file as RTF, but
I'd prefer not to have to do that.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to check back into the Web site and
make sure I've got all the docs too.

Best,
Keith

Keith Soltys -- ksoltys -at- io -dot- org -- http://www.io.org/~ksoltys/
Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you;
if you don't bet, you can't win. --Robert A. Heinlein