Writing Internships

Subject: Writing Internships
From: "Dr. James Lenze - Technical Communication" <LENZE -at- LTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 10:06:57 -0500

I wrote:
<snip>
> I wouldn't, however, think it was so valuable that I would require
> my students to take an unpaid internship.

Robert Sidman wrote:
*snip*
* If an internship is required for graduation, and it should be,
* there is no requirement the employer pays the student. The
* student is there part-time for a limited length of time to get
* experience, to see the real world (as it were), to see how
* actual procedures vary/do not vary from what is being
* taught in ivory towers.

Nixon said:
! Let me be perfectly clear.

I think internships are a great idea for technical communication
students.

I think that technical communication programs should require
internships for graduation.

I think unpaid internships are just as good (in terms of
experience) as paid internships.

I would PREFER that my students were paid for their work than
provide their services for no financial remuneration.

I do NOT think that unpaid internships are more valuable than
paid internships and I would NOT REQUIRE that my students take
part in unpaid internships ONLY!

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to help one of my students
edit an article that she will be publishing this month. Life is
hard in the old ivory tower.

Dr. James S. Lenze
Assistant Professor Internet: LENZE -at- LTU -dot- EDU
Technical Communication Degree Program Phone: (810) 204-3658
Lawrence Technological University FAX: (810) 204-3518
21000 W. 10 Mile Rd. Office: M145 (in M139)
Southfield, MI 48075-1058