Re: State of the art

Subject: Re: State of the art
From: John Gear <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 10:07:00 PST

>Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 10:13:50 EST
>From: Scott Goodhue <goodhue -at- SMTPGATE -dot- DISCLOSURE -dot- COM>
>Subject: State of the art

> Call for Neologism:

> The term "state of the art" has been used for some time to refer to
> the highest level of development. In your opinion, is it hackneyed?
> I posed the question once to an STC PIC a while ago and one member
> suggested: "Bleeding edge." This may be too bloody for many. I
> considered " the fore-running cusp" for a softer sound, but neither
> terms seem adequate to me. They just don't have the ring of an
> engineering feat. I've also run across "state of the edge," but it's
> a mere substitution of one word for another. Any suggestions
> welcomed.

1. Yes, IMO it is hackneyed. Very.
2. Bleeding edge is appropriate for Wired magazine maybe--I can't think of
other places
3. State of the edge????? Are we discussing swords or razors?
4. Suggestions: Best available technology, best commercially-available
technology etc.
I don't like the sound of them much but they do tell me something
whereas the marketing folks have rendered "state of the art" meaningless.
John Gear (catalyst -at- pacifier -dot- com)

The Bill of Rights--The Original Contract with America
Accept no substitutes. Beware of imitations. Insist on the genuine articles.