Screens

Subject: Screens
From: Kirby Chavez <kjc -at- YAR -dot- CUSA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 09:49:37 -0700

Greetings,

I'd like to thank everyone that responded to my inquiry regarding screen
captures.

This is our process of capturing screens (and producing manuals):

We have a couple of credit union packages loaded on our unix server. I
access one of those programs using a telnet session called v-link (working
off of my windows based PC). Screens are captured into tiff format using
Pizazz Plus. We then use HiJaak Pro to convert these tiff files into an .ai
(encapsulated postscript) format. When we publish, we print our files to a
postscript printer, save these files on disk, zip the files, and send them
to our publisher.

I'll soon be working on another one of our credit union packages. I've
converted all of the files from Corel Ventura into FrameMaker 5. I plan on
doing new screen captures for this manual.

The .ai graphics in the first credit union manual aren't all that great. The
text in the capture is distorted. So I want to find a new way of creating
encapsulated postscript graphics for our second credit union manual. I am
led to believe that graphics must be in encapsulated postscript format to be
able to print to a postscript printer.

When graphics are placed into our FrameMaker documents, they are imported by
reference (to cut down on the size of the document file). TIF files take a
long time to load when working with a document; AI files load quickly.
Sometimes, when loading or printing a document with TIF graphics, it causes
our PCs to freeze up (we're all on Windows for Workgroups).

AI or not AI, that is my question.
--

Kirby Chavez
Technical Writer

Totally Disclaimed
CUSA Technologies, Inc. | E-Mail: kjc -at- yar -dot- cusa -dot- com
986 West Atherton Drive | Work Phone: (801) 263-1840
Salt Lake City, UT 84123 | Fax: (801) 265-3274

-God is a comic playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh