Small caps for acronyms

Subject: Small caps for acronyms
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 02:12:33 -0800

I once wrote a manual, using FrameMaker, in which I used small caps for
acronyms. They looked better than full caps, but they took a lot of extra
work, and they caused a whole lot of trouble.

For example, when they appeared in headings that were automatically included
in the table of contents, the TOC version appeared in lowercase. A similar
problem arose for cross references.

I don't remember all the details, but I don't think I'd want to do it again.
...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro