Re: How much has tech writing increased?... verging off-topic

Subject: Re: How much has tech writing increased?... verging off-topic
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 10:13:33 -0700

On Wed, 6 Dec 1995, Kahn, Stacey wrote:

> The tie-in to tech writing is that the job stress is not inherent in the job
> itself. And unlike postal workers, we can learn to expect last-minute changes,
> slipping deadlines, changing design specs, and so on. I find that as long as I
> can anticipate and plan for this sort of hassle, it's not particularly
> stressful.

I believe that "anticipate and plan" are the keys. I've worked in
situations where there seemed to be remarkably little of either--and the
stress level was inordinantly high. When the department moved away from
crisis management and began to anticipate and plan for upcoming deadlines
rather than stressing at the last minute, there was little stress
involved. Sure, there were often last minute changes -- but because the
groundwork had been laid, it was easier to complete those last minute
changes and still get the product out.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu