Re: Generic "he"

Subject: Re: Generic "he"
From: Mercedes Abels <maa5906 -at- GRIFFON -dot- MWSC -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 09:23:52 -0600

I never fely hate, exactly, more like bewilderment that for the authors
of so many books girls didn't seem to exist except to be rescued by a
male. Women never _did_ anything bright; doctors, lawyers, heros were
always male. It does send a subtle message, despite out reluctance to
admit it.

As someone who works with words, I dislike the cumbersome "he or she"
substitution, but as a member of the gender so often left out when we
take the shorter path, I opt of gender-inlusive use at all times.

Marci Abels