Re: Neologism Discovered!

Subject: Re: Neologism Discovered!
From: Wolf Lahti <wduby -at- TECHCENTER -dot- PACCAR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 09:17:22 -0800

>Found on the spine of my semi-new phone book:

>The White Pages Printed With a Minimum of 25% Postconsumer Material"

>Postconsumer! Gotta remember that one. I'll probably have to teach it to
>my spell checker before I can send this message.

What would *you* call it? Post-consumer material refers to that which has
been used and genuinely recirculated, what the average consumer (post or
otherwise) generally means when one says 'recycled'.

Most so-called recycled paper consists of end rolls from paper-processing
plants, stuff that never leaves the plant and has never seen 'use'; it just
goes back into the processing bin because it's too short (or flawed or
something) to make anything out of.

This end-roll stuff constitutes a large amount of waste, and it certainly
needs to be put back into the loop, but calling it 'recycled' seems to me a
misnomer.

"I hate quotations."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson