Re: What's a Webmaster?

Subject: Re: What's a Webmaster?
From: Wolf Lahti <wduby -at- TECHCENTER -dot- PACCAR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 12:06:21 -0800

Dennis Callaghan asked:

> Since many of you design Web sites or are otherwise familiar with
> them, what exactly is a Webmaster? Is it a real title and if so, what
> does it entail, or has this Webmaster person gone on a mad power trip?

As near as I can tell, Webmaster has become a default designation for that
person unfortunate enough to be chosen as the arbiter of the difficulties
your browser has looking at their site, a la the phrase, "If you have any
problems viewing this web page, contact webmaster -at- techcenter -dot- paccar -dot- com -dot- "

My manager designated me as 'webmaster' at the Technical Center here, which
is really frightening considering how little I know about the ins and outs
of HTML. Just because I know more than anyone else here doesn't make me a
master in any stretch of the word.

Or maybe it does, which is even scarier.

"I hate quotations."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson