Re: Resume Scanning

Subject: Re: Resume Scanning
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 14:27:31 -0800

Regarding including a keyword summary in resumes, George Allaman wrote:

>I know this must be good advice, but something puzzles me. If you can
>think of a keyword that should be listed, why wouldn't it already be in
>the body of the resume somewhere? Can you give me an example? I have a
>feeling this is a stupid question - please humor me.

For the same reason you'd index a document instead of providing a
concordance, because some of the words you'd want to use in your
keyword section may not appear in the resume.

For example, you might say, "Design, create, and maintain
paper-based and online documentation for stamafragit software."
Nowhere in that sentence do you mention software like FrameMaker
or RoboHelp, nor do you actually say Windows Help Files (or HTML
or WWW or Mosaic or whatever else the task of providing paper-
based and online documentation entails). The last version of
Intercom (STC) had a list of suggested keywords and very few of
them actually appear in the text of my resume. If I hadn't just
changed jobs, I might actually consider creating a keyword
section for my resume -- Maybe next time. ;-)

Sue Gallagher
Expersoft Corporation
San Diego, CA
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com