Re: Boring Discussions

Subject: Re: Boring Discussions
From: Jeffrey Pittman <Jpittman49 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 01:04:46 -0500

The finer points of grammar are boring? Mabey I am just an obsesive
person, but the absolute minutae of any subject is what fascinates me. The
key word in our profession
is , "technical". In a document, everything MUST be absolutely correct. If
you are writing about a DC-3, and you are refering to its use in the U.S.
Navy, you must refer to it as the R-4-D. You cannot refer to it as a C-47 as
this was the Army Air Force version. If the use of the improper designation
does not cause you to lose sleep, you are not technical enough for this
profession. If your parents, teachers, and friends never complained that you
are, "too technical", then you will probably never be happy in the technical
writing field. Perhaps a career in non-technical writing would be more
appropriate for folks who consider hair-splitting discussions boring. :-)>
Observations from a techno-dweeb,
J.P.