Re: Boring Discussions

Subject: Re: Boring Discussions
From: Mark Ace <ace -at- EUROPA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 06:06:00 PST

Willard Brooks wrote:
>Please do not be offended by this
>statement, but I myslef do find disscussions of grammar and acronym
>capitalization somewhat less than rapturous.

I agree that some of the subjects are a bit arcane, and the seemingly
endless replies in excrutiating detail get a little ponderous at times. But
understand that people here are discussing their CRAFT. Given the right
forum, any craftsman can talk at length on the details of their
(his/hers/usted's) work. Many of the contributors to these discussions
have years of experience in their fields, and are contributing on the basis
of that experience. For some, this is their forum, their opportunity to
share the knowledge they've earned.

You might find, after a few years of really trying to do a good job of
technical writing, that it is the execution of the details that
differentiates good writing from poor. Clip a few of these arcane notes
and store them where you can retrieve them in a few years, when you start
looking for answers to subtle questions you previously had no reason to
ask.

Or delete the threads that don't interest you, or unsubscribe for a while.
But don't give up on the profession without giving it a try. And get a
spell checker.

Mark Ace
Ace Communications, Inc.
(503) 235-2966; fax: 235-3109