Why SGML?

Subject: Why SGML?
From: Caryn Rizell <CARYN_RIZELL -at- HP-ROSEVILLE-OM2 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 15:00:29 -0800

Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
Hi!

I'm curious: why would anyone choose to author in SGML? My group did some
investigation and it seemed like an extremely complicated way to get the
job done. With tools like HTML and Bristol Technology's HyperHelp, why
would anyone need to mess with DTDs and SGML?

The only thing we could come up with was that people had to use SGML
because of government contracts, etc.

I would be extremely interested to know why anyone chose to go the SGML
route. What were you gaining? Why didn't you choose other tools to
accomplish the same thing?

If you feel there are some extremely compelling reasons to choose SGML,
please let me know. I would appreciate any feedback to help us make our
decision about which tools to use to develop online help.

Thanks very much.

Caryn Rizell
caryn_rizell -at- hp-roseville-om2 -dot- om -dot- hp -dot- com