Re: how does one become a techwriter

Subject: Re: how does one become a techwriter
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 19:27:38 GMT

>How does one become a techwriter?

Most of us seem to have become Tech Writers in a rather round-about
way. For example, my own story runs something like this....

1) Decide to get a BA in Physics
2) Get side-tracked into History
3) Take a bunch of Literature classes for fun. Write some poetry.
4) Drop out of college and pay the bills by being an accountant
5) Finish BA in Cognitive Studies (Philosophy, Psychology, and Computers)
6) Apply to Grad School in History
7) Decide to pay the bills by Tech Writing for awhile.

8) Stick with it because you like it and seem to be good at it.

The key here seems to be being bicognitive, inquisitive, and to
enjoy writing.