Re: Gender Bias in Pronouns

Subject: Re: Gender Bias in Pronouns
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 20:19:50 PST

On Sun, 17 Dec 1995 17:23:54 -0500 you wrote:

>Will I be considered sexist if I raise the problem of descriptions that
>assume that I am right-handed?

Dexteritist maybe?

>I'm left-handed. I don't mind being called cack-handed (Yes, Virginia, I do

How about "southpaw"? (BTW, anyone know how THAT one came about???)

>know what cack is.) but I do object to descriptions that assume that the
>left-hand mouse button is the primary button.

Most of the left-handed people I know use the default mouse-button layout
anyway (this is probably because they don't know how to change it, but that's
beside the point). I know of only one "lefty" friend who ever bothered
reversing the button mapping on her system, but she changed it back since
everyone else who used their machine was used to the standard map.

>Talking about primary and secondary buttons isn't much better. My mouse has
>three buttons and the middle button (which is configured for double-click)
>is much more heavily used than the right button.

OS/2's online documentation refers to "Button 1" and "Button 2" (the system by
default doesn't use a third button, although specific or third-party drivers
do allow it to be configured and mapped), as does the mouse-configuration
panel itself.

Seems like a reasonable solution to me.

Your friend and mine,
Matt Ion
---*** NOTE: Windows 95 Fixpack now available! ***---
See http://www.austin.ibm.com/pspinfo/drk95.html for more info!

Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Next Level
Productions, or anyone else of sound mind from this planet or dimension!