Use of language

Subject: Use of language
From: Wolf Lahti <wduby -at- TECHCENTER -dot- PACCAR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 07:24:26 -0800

A few subscribers are complaining about the discussion of language on this
list, one saying that we are 'users' of language, not its definers.

Everyone who uses language serves to define it. That's how language came to
be in the first place and how it continues to exist and evolve.

If you want to simply use language and don't care whether you use it well
and with elegance--which is what I perceive these 'irrelevant' language
discussions to be about--then why are you subscribed to a list about tech
writing? What do you perceive a tech writing list to be about if not use of
language?

"Those who take this seriously deserve to."
-- Donna Barr