Re: Help: "Increment" as verb

Subject: Re: Help: "Increment" as verb
From: "Doug, Data Librarian at Ext 4225" <engstromdd -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 16:10:43 -0600

Connie Winch says:

******************
I'm editing one of our manuals and have come across "increment" used as a
verb. According to my American Heritage Dictionary, it's not a verb.
However, I'm having a hard time thinking of a replacement. Any
suggestions? It would be used in a sentence like this: "The software
package automatically increments the transaction ID number after each
entry."
******************
If your audience is programmers or other folks with a stake in the gory
internal details, you're probably OK with "increment." Check a computing
dictionary (don't have one handy....) but I'd bet my keyboard it's there as
a verb.

If you're dealing with more business-type folk, try something like:"The
software package automatically assigns a unique transaction ID number
after each entry." If necessary, add: "...by adding one to the most
recently used transaction ID number." (But that may be more than they
want to know.)

Also, are you -sure- it's -just- incrementing the ID? Multi-user software
often assigns an alphabetic portion to ID numbers, so that multiple users
don't "step on" one another by creating the same ID at the same time. Just
a thought...

Skoal,

Doug "Every gift that is given is given
ENGSTROMDD -at- phibred -dot- com is given for a reason."

-- Martin Bell

The preceding opinions and positions are mine alone, and are only
coincidentally related to those of Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.