Re: Certification

Subject: Re: Certification
From: "Thomas E. Potter" <TPotter243 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 22:19:58 -0500

In a message dated 95-12-19 06:41:23 EST, nancyh -at- PMAFIRE -dot- INEL -dot- GOV (Nancy
Hayes) writes:

>If you are a good technical writer-editor, and if
>you can get some of your customers convinced of it, =they= will do more
>good for your reputation than a certificate.

I think this is a good point. All certification programs that I've seen
(plumbers, mechanics, etc.) are ploys to keep others out of "their" territory
not efforts to improve the group performance. I hope technical writing
doesn't follow this route. I prefer to see the field open to everyone who
wants to try. The market will weed out those who can't perform.

Tom Potter
Houston, TX
TPotter243 -at- aol -dot- com