Re: Certification

Subject: Re: Certification
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 09:00:07 PST

I'm not sure we're approaching the certification issue correctly. Our
goals are too mundane. Look at what doctors and lawyers have achieved
through THEIR certification programs:

* Greatly increased average personal income by restricting the number
of new entrants to the profession.

* The protection of incompetent members through a decertification process
that makes it far easier to absolve than to punish.

* The fostering of a lofty, godlike stature in the eyes of the public
through a combination of good P.R. and the relentless sweeping under
the rug of all unseemly happenings.

* Massive power at the governmental lobbying level, which leads to
protection and patronage.

* An arrangement by which most of the work is done by low-paid uncertified
workers and virtually unpaid apprentices (i.e., nurses, med students,
and interns), leaving the certified people ample time for leisure.

-- Robert

Robert Plamondon * President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139