Re: hobbies & interests on resumes

Subject: Re: hobbies & interests on resumes
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 13:19:19 -0800

Rick Lippincott wrote:
>I was hoping for a job in aerospace, but I had no particular background (other
>than interest) in the field. I listed my education and job history, then
>at the bottom under hobbies I included "model aircraft construction." That
>caught the attention of a manager at one aerospace company, who apparently
>realized "Hey, he probably -does- want to work here." After an interview,
>I got the job.

Good use of the "hobbies" section, Rick!

Although I have to admit that I've never trashed a resume because
it *didn't* have a "hobbies" section, I have given second looks to
otherwise unspectacular resumes when the hobbies or interests
indicated an unusually good fit with other team members. But, on
a cautionary note, I've also dismissed otherwise well-qualified
applicants becausee their "hobbies and interests" indicated that
they'd clash with current team members. (Ref: Bev's aversion to
someone who'd claim trophy hunting as an interest).

Whether you choose to include a "hobbies" section in your resume
depends on what your hobbies are and who your audience is. If your
hobby, like Rick's, augments your job qualifications significantly,
*of course* add it to your resume.

If your lifestyle is a little off-mainstream, however, use caution
when adding "hobbies and interests" to your resume -- unless you
deliberately choose not to work for someone who would not accept
your lifestyle choice. ;-) (for example, be sure you know what
you're doing when you add "ride a Harley" or "volunteer evangelical
minister" to your list of qualifications!)

And finally, if your "hobbies" section is pretty standard and says
little or nothing about your lifestyle or qualifications (e.g.,
reading, gardening, needlework, cooking, etc.), it's probably
taking up more space than it deserves and can be eliminated without
impact (positive or negative).

Just a few thoughts...

-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com