Re: Picking at scabs

Subject: Re: Picking at scabs
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 14:23:02 MST

Tom T Kiersted/asf wrote-->
> If the non-capitalized "internet" is so widely accepted, why "intranet?" And,
> moreover, why "Intranet?"
> I was looking at a trade journal (Information Week) with these usages and
began
> wondering...

==========
Synchronicity... I just read about intranets for the first time
within the last hour...

The article I read concerned IBM and Lotus Notes. I'm not
certain if Intranet (note cap) is something that IBM is going to
try to trademark or not. Generically, based only on my
interpretation of the article I read, an intranet is a *private*
network that works very similarly to the Internet, plus has
access to the public Internet.

By "works very similarly" I mean that intranets will have the
equivalent of Usenet newsgroups (think Lotus Notes) and
web-type browsing, in addition to email. Areas of the intranet
are private--for company use only, so to speak.

=*= Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= Huachuca : That's pronounced "wah-CHEW-ka" =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=