Resume

Subject: Resume
From: Bonni Graham <bonnig -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 12:01:38 -0800

Rick Lippincott asks about length of job experience to list:

>What are other people doing?

When I was in-house job hunting, I listed exactly what was asked for
and *no more*. If you can drop the earliest ten years, why not drop
everything over what they want (unless you LIKE getting kicked out of
the pile for being overqualified and probably too expensive)? Granted,
I'm not yet in a position to have to drop professional stuff off the
back end, but I have had to drop related semi-professional stuff, and
that's the criteria I use.

I rarely used a canned resume. I kept my job experience all balled up
together in a text file and cut chunks out of it for my tailored resume
as needed. I kept the tailored resume format in a Word template. Took
me about maybe five to ten minutes to suck good info out of the text
file and plop it into the form and another five or so to futz with my
stock cover letter. Then maybe another minute to fax the resume, or two
to two-and-a-half to print it and an envelope. I got at least a call
from 90% of the firms.

Of course, now that I'm independent, I keep a client list instead.
That's not anywhere near long enough yet to have to prune (sigh), but
I'm working on it. If I have to, I point to in-house experience as a
form of "client" although I make the reality very clear.

--
Bonni Graham
Manual Labour