Re: Hobbies on resumes -Reply

Subject: Re: Hobbies on resumes -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 15:42:30 -0800

Robert Plamondon ("The resume lists only the things that would make
people want to hire you") and Matt Ion ("A resume is your 'brag
sheet.' It's the one time you're not supposed to be modest.") both
have it wrong if only by a degree or two. A resume (and the
accompanying cover letter) should get you an interview. After the
interview, you can see if you really want the job and if the employer
wants you.

For this reason, you use your word-processing tools to tailor your
resume to the specifics of the advertised job and your relationship
to them (See Rick Lippincott's question about length of job
experience to list and what other people are doing). If your 10-year
story will get you in the door, then tell it. But I think that in
most cases today with most of us technical writers, we and the people
hiring us would prefer to deal with current hot (and sometimes cold)
technologies. My opinion is that it does less good (and in fact may
be a negative) to present yourself as a tech writer with a history of
whatever length than it does to come on as a www page writer even if
with only, say, 18 months of work, but with enthusiasm and a lot to
say about the technology, platforms, bells, whistles, and results
your stuff has produced, looking for the next big opportunity, and a
willingness to learn. I might even list books I have read, seminars
I have attended, if pertinent. Does this hit everyone's concern?

Happy New Year All from Bill Sullivan
(bsullivan -at- deltecpower -dot- com)