Safety words

Subject: Safety words
From: Stan Brown <stbrown -at- NACS -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 1995 16:52:53 -0500

In TECHWR-L Digest, it stands written by Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>:

> 2. Don't get hung up on the difference in meaning between "warning" and
> "caution". [...] I'd suggest that if warnings are more serious than
> cautions, one solution might be to call everything a warning... so readers
> would take _everything_ seriously.

To quote Bev (I think), Noooooooooooooo!

Remember the story, "The Boy(*) Who Cried Wolf"? if you MISlead your
readers by labeling as serious problems that are clearly not, the readers
are all too likely to overlook truly serious problems because they are
presented as being at the same level of severity.

(*) doubtless to be rewritten as "The Young Person Who Cried Wolf" :-)

Regards,
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems Cleveland, Ohio USA +1 216 371-0043
email: stbrown -at- nacs -dot- net Web: http://www.nacs.net/~stbrown